Bullion coins and bars are the "purest" way to invest in gold, but can be costly to own and slow to sell. lionvision/Getty Images Physical gold can be bought for investment in two basic ways: bullion bars or coins.
Buying physical gold involves researching reputable dealers, understanding pricing, and shouldering storage costs.
Alternatives to physical gold include gold stocks and funds — less "pure," but more liquid, investments.
Visit Business Insider’s Investing Reference library for more stories . You often hear folks talk about investing in gold . Which begs the question: Exactly how do you buy gold? And perhaps more importantly, why would anyone want to?The short answer is that gold can be a smart way to diversify a portfolio — especially one filled with the usual investment suspects: stocks, bonds, and funds.Not only is gold largely immune to inflation, instead hewing closely to the cost of […]
- Do contribute something to the discussion
- Do post factual information, analysis and your view on company valuations
- Do disclose if you have an interest in a security
- Do not make low-content posts, unsubstantiated ramps or untruthful/misleading statements
- Do not complain about a post unless you have reported it first, and not on the forum.
- Do not post financial advice
- Do not advertise or post sponsored content