Winter storms in parts of the south and central U.S. have led to a surge in the need for power, rallying prices for natural gas as traders look toward a rise in nuclear power demand and consumption of uranium.
The southern Plains has been “transformed into southern Siberia due to brutally cold Arctic air that has toppled century-old records,” AccuWeather reported on Tuesday.
The spot price of wholesale electricity on the Texas power grid jumped by more than 10,000% to over $9,000 per megawatt hour late Monday morning, compared with prestorm prices of less than $50 per megawatt hour, according to a Reuters report , citing data from the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, or ERCOT.
About 36% of U.S. natural gas demand comes from the electric power sector. Prices for the fuel on the futures market rallied Tuesday , with the front-month March contract trading up nearly 15 cents, or 5%, […]
- Do contribute something to the discussion
- Do post factual information, analysis and your view on company valuations
- Do disclose if you have an interest in a security
- Do not make low-content posts, unsubstantiated ramps or untruthful/misleading statements
- Do not complain about a post unless you have reported it first, and not on the forum.
- Do not post financial advice
- Do not advertise or post sponsored content