Golden Sibanda and Africa Moyo
TREASURY is working on measures to ensure Fidelity Printers and Refiners (FPR), the country’s sole authorised gold buyer, gets adequately funded with US dollars for timely payment of gold deliveries to curtail smuggling, a Cabinet Minister has said.
Gold is Zimbabwe’s single largest foreign currency earner and at about US$1,3 billion (2018) accounts for over 60 percent of the annual inflows from the mining sector, which earns 50 percent of the hard currency the country generates.
There have been reports of rampant smuggling of gold, especially among small scale and artisanal miners, largely due to delays by Fidelity Printers in making payments for deliveries and low prices compared to other markets.Cumulatively, gold deliveries fell 16 percent to 27,6 tonnes in 2019 from 33,3 tonnes in 2018 on account of suspected widespread smuggling due to miners’ concerns over previous foreign currency retention thresholds.FPR earlier this year, however, […]
- Do contribute something to the discussion
- Do post factual information, analysis and your view on company valuations
- Do disclose if you have an interest in a security
- Do not make low-content posts, unsubstantiated ramps or untruthful/misleading statements
- Do not complain about a post unless you have reported it first, and not on the forum.
- Do not post financial advice
- Do not advertise or post sponsored content