getty I’ve been getting a bunch of spam in my inbox recently telling me in panicked tones that the world as we know it is on the verge of ending and the only solution is to invest in gold. Touting its great returns, risk hedge capabilities and inflation protection for my portfolio, these missives implore me that if I want to preserve any semblance of wealth after the upcoming apocalypse, I must sell [ enter the asset class of your choice here ] and put that money to work in gold. Today. Now. Immediately.
Whenever the markets and world affairs are in turmoil—war, plague, political strife, social unrest—the gold-bugs emerge from their cocoons as predictably as cicadas do in the spring and making about as much noise. Maybe more.
It’s tempting. After all, who doesn’t seek some emotional stability and comfort during a crisis? For centuries, people have turned to gold […]
- Do contribute something to the discussion
- Do post factual information, analysis and your view on company valuations
- Do disclose if you have an interest in a security
- Do not make low-content posts, unsubstantiated ramps or untruthful/misleading statements
- Do not complain about a post unless you have reported it first, and not on the forum.
- Do not post financial advice
- Do not advertise or post sponsored content