Last week’s top-gaining stocks on the TSX were Gatos Silver, Kolibri Global, UEX, Freegold Ventures and Denison Mines.
The S&P/TSX Composite Index (INDEXTSI: OSPTX ) closed last Friday (July 15) at 18,391.96.
The index fell on the last day of trading in a week that saw the largest interest rate hike from the Bank of Canada since 1998. The central bank increased rates by 100 basis points on Wednesday (July 13), a move that caught many off guard as expectations were for an increase of 75 basis points.
“It’s great to see central banks finally waking up and trying to get ahead of this,” said Greg Taylor, chief investment officer at Purpose Investments, following the announcement. “This should be looked at as good news, but markets hate surprises and this caught a lot of people off guard.”The gold price continued its decline last week, falling to the US$1,700 per ounce […]
- Do contribute something to the discussion
- Do post factual information, analysis and your view on company valuations
- Do disclose if you have an interest in a security
- Do not make low-content posts, unsubstantiated ramps or untruthful/misleading statements
- Do not complain about a post unless you have reported it first, and not on the forum.
- Do not post financial advice
- Do not advertise or post sponsored content